The final refuel at Goodwood before returning to Australia. Well not quite!
A rare photo opportunity taken during the perfect warm weather conditions in England. A Dennis refuelling tanker with locally based Tiger Moth in the background.
………………….Dennis Ace Shell Mex & BP Tanker…………………..
The Dennis Tanker was built in 1937 in Guildford, Surrey, England. The factory was a purpose built 3 storey facility built specifically for the design and construction of Dennis vehicles in 1901. The building, known as the Rodboro building (www.guildfordsociety.org.uk/rodboro.html) still stands today and is home to a Music Academy
The Dennis has a 4 cylinder 4.5 litre petrol engine bolted to a 5 speed (4 forward and 1 reverse) gearbox. Its long nose gave it the nickname of “The Pig” – this name could also be applied to its driving style!! – no power steering, a “worm” steering box, drum brakes and an extremely heavy clutch with no synchromesh (crash box!) – a Pig to drive!!
Her main duties while being used by Shell Mex & BP was to deliver fuel to garages in West London, this lasted, we believe up until the early 1960’s although no one can be sure, after which she remained in storage at the BP depot
The tank at the rear has a capacity of up to 500 gallons of fuel – not much by todays standards!!!. Fuels hand cranked out of the tank – see pump handle at rear
She has lived at the world famous Goodwood Motor Circuit (near Chichester England) for the past 10 or so years. Having been fully restored by BP to its original Shell Mex & BP livery. It is on display between the months of April and October and makes regular appearances at both the Goodwood Revival in September and the Goodwood Members Meeting in May. It has also been used as set dressing for film shoots and advertising and is regularly photographed by visitors to the Circuit and Airfield
The history of the Dennis Brothers can be explored in the following link :